Apply for Study Permits and Visas

      • Study Permits

        To study in Canada, international students are required to obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Full time academic status is required by CIC, which is equivalent to nine academic credits or three courses at Capilano University.

        • If you do not have a Study Permit, please get a Study Permit to ensure that you can legally study in Canada. 

        When you have accepted the Offer of Admission by paying your $5,000 CAD tuition deposit, you will be sent a Letter of Acceptance, which includes information required for your Study Permit application or extension.  Please use this letter to apply for or extend your Study Permit with Citizenship and Immigration Canada. 

        Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)

        In addition to a Study Permit, citizens from certain countries will also be required to have a Temporary Resident Visa. Please find out if you need a Temporary Resident Visa

        Co-Op Work Permit

        For some academic programs, work experience is a mandatory part of the curriculum. If Box #24 is marked ‘yes’ on your official Letter of Acceptance (issued by Capilano University), you must obtain a co-op work permit before starting your co-op work term. It is your responsibility to apply when you know the exact dates of your co-op work term. For more information about this permit, please see the CIC website:

        International students may apply for admission to online programs to study from their home countries. International students enrolled in online programs will not be eligible for a Study Permit.

        Download our Immigration Information for International Students (.pdf) for more information.