Technical Theatre Diploma
Faculty of Fine & Applied Arts, School of Performing Arts
With a strong focus on instructional and mentored learning, students will learn how to create the behind the scenes stagecraft, that brings productions to life in theatre and live events.
This two-year training program will give students a thorough grounding in the art of stagecraft by applying a variety of skills and tools to produce numerous productions. Students also learn about the history of performance and gain an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of a professional theatre crew. Throughout the program, the training evolves into practice, providing hands-on technical and creative support to a variety of live events in the BlueShore Centre for the Performing Arts on both professional and student productions.
- Communication - Demonstrate leadership and personal skills in the workplace.
- Communication - Display spatial awareness in individual and group settings on a crew.
- Communication - Employ well developed personal skills and an awareness of self in individual and group settings.
- Critical Thinking - Understand and identify with the content of the text as it applies to the design.
- Critical Thinking - Investigate and problem solve in an individual and a collaborative team setting.
- Critical Thinking - Integrate the techniques of creative process into the production area.
- Quantitative Reasoning - Employ the tools and technology required for theatre production and design.
- Quantitative Reasoning - Apply measurement skills, problem solving and computation in set construction and conceptual design.
- Quantitative Reasoning - Examine knowledge of physics in lighting and sound design areas.
- Quantitative Reasoning - Understand and interpret the design areas into a realized form for performance.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change.
Total credits: 15.00
|ASAS 120||Elements of Performance History I||3.00 credits|
|ENGL 100||University Writing Strategies||3.00 credits|
|TECT 130||Theatre Crew Responsibilities||1.50 credits|
|TECT 132||Stagecraft and Grip Production||4.50 credits|
|THTR 160||Technical Theatre Fundamentals||3.00 credits|
Total credits: 15.00
|ASAS 220||Elements of Performance History II||3.00 credits|
|TECT 134||Theatrical Production and Design||3.00 credits|
|TECT 136||Scenic Construction||1.50 credits|
|TECT 138||Stagecraft and Scenic Construction Production||4.00 credits|
|TECT 140||Stagecraft and Theatrical Production Design||3.50 credits|
Total credits: 17.50
|TECT 210||Senior Production and Theatrical Design I||1.50 credits|
|TECT 212||Theatrical Lighting and Design||1.50 credits|
|TECT 214||Scenic Art||1.50 credits|
|TECT 216||Stagecraft and Scenic Art Responsibilities||5.00 credits|
|TECT 218||Stagecraft and Lighting Design||5.00 credits|
|ENGL or CMNS 100 level or higher||3.00 credits|
Total credits: 15.50
|TECT 211||Senior Production and Theatrical Design II||1.50 credits|
|TECT 220||Live and Studio Sound Design||1.50 credits|
|TECT 222||Properties Design||1.50 credits|
|TECT 224||Stagecraft and Senior Production Responsibilities||5.00 credits|
|TECT 226||Stagecraft and Properties||6.00 credits|
Total program credits: 63.00
May 2, 2017 - May 1, 2018
Course Registration & Waitlisting
Jul 9-20, 2018
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 27, 2018 4 p.m.
May 1, 2018 - Apr 2, 2019
Note: Dates are subject to change.
BC Secondary School graduation (Grade 12) or equivalent; or Mature Student status
Capilano English Language Requirement for students whose primary language is not English: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): paper=560, internet=83, or English Language Assessment (ELA)=145, or International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS)=6.5 overall, and no one score less than 6, or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)=70, or Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)=56 or Capilano University EAP 100 and 101 with a minimum B+ grade in each course.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University 2018-2019 Calendar (pdf).