Donors have a life-changing impact on our students and campus.
There are many ways you can promote excellence at Capilano University – the most pressing needs are:
What it is
- The Learning Commons is an academic resource and support hub.
- An environment for learning and skills development: configured for individual study and group work, equipped with reference materials, computers and collaborative presentation facilities, and staffed with faculty experts to help with coursework questions and language support for non-native English speakers.
- Student life volunteers provide links to campus extracurricular opportunities.
How it helps
- This year more than 5,000 students will benefit from the Learning Commons by honing new skills, mastering challenging course material and building confidence.
- Students can book one-on-one consultation to support math, writing, social science or English language needs.
- A place for quiet study and collaborative projects, open seven days a week.
- Builds strong work habits and raises the achievements of all students.
- Students can connect with each other, engage and take action which deepens their connection to the campus community, increases confidence and empowers them.
- Students are able to access services like math, writing and English language support so they can develop learning strategies to overcome challenges.
What they are
- Scholarships are given to students to reward and inspire academic achievement.
- Awards are given based on a combination of academic and athletic achievement, or may reflect extracurricular activities and other special achievements.
How they help
- Scholarships and awards promote excellence, encouraging students to reach their potential.
- The best and brightest students see CapU as a viable option for their studies.
- Students are inspired to achieve great things.
What it is
- Bursaries are financial assistance the recipient doesn’t have to pay back.
- They are given based on financial need.
How they help
- Bursaries help those with financial barriers to education – frequently mature students with children. Ultimately, recipients are the people with the most to gain from education because they are looking to build professional careers.
- Students are able to focus on their studies when opportunities are provided and barriers removed.
- Mature students bring life experience to the campus.
What it is
- Program funds, supporting new initiatives, or even repairs to existing equipment – whatever the greatest need is right now!
- Immediate spending on established priorities.
How this helps
- We can fund areas that will have an immediate, direct impact on student life.
- Capilano University is best positioned to leverage opportunities and respond quicker to support students on campus.
Thanks to generous investments in scholarships, awards, bursaries and program funding, the university provided approximately $1.3 million in direct support to more than 700 students through 2017-18. And the 2018-19 school year opened with the launch of the Learning Commons, an innovation that will support and benefit all students on our North Shore campus.
We are currently raising funds to support the Learning Commons with our 2018 Giving Tuesday campaign.
There is a constant and immediate need for your support. Donate now and be a part of student success!