Academic Support Services
Connect with one of our academic support services to achieve your academic goals and succeed in your studies. Get help with writing, math, research, English language and learning skills. Don't know what kind of help you need? Ask a question via chat and someone will get you to the right place.
Accessibility services has re-opened for in-person services while continuing to offer phone and online appointments between 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Accessibility services oversees academic accommodation of the learning environment for students with disabling conditions.
- If you're new to accessibility services, you can click here to request services.
- Already registered with accessibility services? Book an appointment here.
- Need to book an exam accommodation? Book exams here.
If you require assistance with your academic accommodations, specialized software, exams or communication with an instructor, please call 604 983 7526 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For general inquires, or more information, visit the accessibility services webpages.
Athletics and Recreation
Our Athletics and Recreation staff are providing a wide range of options for our CapU community to get moving: whether that's through walking/running, racquet sports, yoga, basketball, soccer, zumba, bootcamp, and more.
The Centre for Sport and Wellness offers both virtual and in-person services to support your well-being. For more information about current CapURec programs and services, visit the Campus Recreation page or follow us on Instagram. Information about the varsity teams can be found on the Capilano Blues website. Follow the Capilano University Blues on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram for the latest updates.
The Bookstore is open to the public 8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. Textbooks, digital books, clothing and stationery can also be purchased through the online book store. If you need more information, please contact the Bookstore by phone 604 984 4972 or email email@example.com.
Campus security continues to operate 24/7. If you need assistance or have a question about safety and security on campus, please call 604 984 1763 or email Campus Security at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Career Development Centre (CDC)
The CDC continues with hybrid operations for the Spring 2022 term. You can attend workshops or career development appointments remotely or in person. We will have limited in-person appointments until further notice. Our regular hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. You can book appointments, access resources, job postings and register for our events and workshops through Career Hub. Contact the CDC at email@example.com or 604 984 4965. Students can also follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok and read our monthly Career Talk newsletter in your CapU inbox. More information is found on the Career Development Centre webpage.
Centre for International Experience
The Wong and Trainor Centre for International Experience (CIE), is a “home away from home” for international students who attend CapU. Our dedicated and experienced staff assist students with program selection, international admissions, immigration advising, medical insurance, student leadership and mentorship opportunities, learning and transition support, study abroad, and more. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with our team.
Computer labs & printers
Computers are available for student use in the following area:
- Computer labs (check Room Bookings for availability):
Need to attend a virtual class while on the main campus with own laptop or device? LB214 is available for you! In addition, the Library 1st Floor has computers and space for laptop users.
If you need to attend a remote class on campus, remember to bring headphones, preferably with a microphone. If you forgot yours or don’t have any, the bookstore sells inexpensive ear buds.
In addition, the Library has a limited number of headphones and headsets that you can borrow. The equipment is sanitized between each use.
Counselling appointments are currently available by phone or Microsoft Teams. All students accessing counselling services must be currently residing in B.C. To book an appointment, students can book online, email email@example.com, call 604 984 1744 or visit the counselling office in Birch Building, room BR267.
Indigenous students are now able to schedule an appointment with an Indigenous counsellor. Currently these appointments can only be scheduled by phone or email.
Appointments and office hours are available Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students must only book one initial appointment, multiple initial appointments are subject to cancellation. In the event of an urgent situation, students can call or email during service hours to access a limited number of daily appointments.
Outside of service hours, students can call the 24-hour BC Crisis Centre line 604 872 3311 or visit Here2Talk, a mental health support service for all students currently registered in a B.C. post-secondary institution. Visit Health and Counselling Services for more information.
The Birch Building Cafeteria will reopen on January 4, 2022, offering coffee and tea, baked goods and other On-the-Go items. Hours of operations to start will be Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Tim Hortons food and beverage services, Good Earth Cafe in the Library Building and the café at the Nat and Flora Bosa Centre for Film and Animation is scheduled to re-open as well.
Additionally, students and employees have the following options:
- Bring your own food. Shared microwaves are available. Please wipe down after use with cleaning supplies provided.
- Vending machines are available with a variety of food and beverage options, including fresh food vending machines at the Nat and Flora Bosa Centre for Film and Animation.
- Order from food delivery services using the central Birch Building roundabout as a curbside pick-up point.
Indigenous Student Services
Indigenous student services are available to all self-identifying Indigenous students. Join us in the Kéxwusm-áyakn Student Centre, chat with our student success specialists, access Indigenous resources, participate in academic and cultural workshops, and spend time with our Elders-in-Residence. We are pleased to offer a range of resources and activities to enhance your time at CapU! Please visit the CapU Indigenous Students webpage for more information.
The IT Service Desk in the Library is open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Monday to Thursday; 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays; and 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. on Saturdays (September–April), by email: AskIT@capilanou.ca, or by phone 604-984-4952. Visit IT Services for updates to services and a full listing of hours of operation.
Learning Support Services
We are here to help you to achieve greater success with your studies. We can support you with planning, managing your time and organizing your term, making useful notes (from your textbooks and lectures), preparing for exams and more.
The learning specialist, as part of learning support services at CapU, can support you by providing ways for you to explore how you learn and offer diverse ways to trial and explore different learning strategies that can help you to grow as a learner.
These include improving how you study, guiding you towards using your time efficiently and effectively, and breaking habits that are not working for you and your learning.
The library will offer slightly reduced hours to start spring term, and update them to align with the changing course delivery plans. Current Library hours are posted here. All our usual spaces and services are available: group and individual work, checking out items from our collection, interlibrary loan, printing/scanning/copying and more. Self-bookable collaboration rooms can be scheduled up to two weeks in advance- visit the Room Bookings page to find a room for your group meeting. The library’s Research Help Desk opens January 10—chat with us to get help with resources, citing sources and much more.
Visit the library webpage for hours, to find resources, book rooms and get help.
Registrar's Office—new location on the ground floor of the Library Building, room LB152—re-opens for some in-person services.
Registration information: in-person service available everyday
Academic advising: Monday to Thursday (appointment only)
Financial aid advisors and student recruitment advisors continue to assist students through phone or online advising appointments.
For questions related to academic advising, financial aid, prospective student advising or registration, please contact the appropriate team:
- Academic Advising contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Aid Advising contact: email@example.com
- Registration Information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student Recruitment contact: email@example.com
The Office of Student Affairs at Capilano University provides students with out-of-the-classroom opportunities for guidance and support, personal development and community engagement. We provide students with assistance navigating resources on and off campus, access to well-being and sexual violence supports, and options for educational events and programming. Connect with the student affairs team in the following ways:
- Your Early Support (YES) Program is in place to assist students facing personal or academic challenges early on, or at any other point, in their academic journey. Trained student support advisors at student affairs can meet with students 1-to-1 to discuss your identified needs and connect you to a variety of supportive resources on or off campus. Students can self-refer to YES at firstname.lastname@example.org or referrals may also be made by employees, with a student’s consent.
- Orientation and Transition: New to CapU? Student affairs collaborates with departments across campus to host orientation activities throughout the year. Start your education journey at CapU through New Student Orientation, JumpStart and socials for new students. You'll find out about academic supports, meet faculty and other students and learn your way around campus.
- Student Well-Being: such as Experience Well-Being Week, CapU Together, the Student Self-Care Handbook, workshops and more.
- Do you have general or specific questions or concerns about Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) here at CapU? If so, feel free to contact Wayne Dunkley, our EDI advisor email@example.com You can also drop in during EDI open office hours via Microsoft Teams on Mondays from 2–3 p.m. and Fridays 11 a.m.–noon. Students and employees can use these sessions to have casual chats about EDI-related topics.
- Sexual Violence Disclosures, Support and Prevention: CapU’s student support advisor provides students with support on sexual violence disclosures, including confidential information, safety planning, information on medical and reporting options and referrals to on and off campus support resources as needed. If you have a concern about sexual violence, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
Student affairs also offers sexual violence prevention training, education and awareness events such as Sexual Violence Awareness Month in January each year. For information, please contact email@example.com
- Student Rights and Responsibilities: The student rights and responsibilities advisor is available to support students, staff and faculty with concerns about student conduct, academic misconduct or questions about how to submit a complaint. To book a confidential appointment, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604 986 1911 ext. 3578
Student Life Hub
UPDATE: The Student Life Hub desk located in the Learning Commons (room LB126) is currently closed until January 30, 2022 and will reopen on Monday, January 31, 2022.
Student Life Hub staff are on campus 10 a.m.–2 p.m., Monday to Friday at the Student Life Hub desk in the Learning Commons (room LB126). Here you can get help navigating the campus, find out about all of the resources available to students, and learn about the different opportunities to get involved in events, volunteering and paid positions at CapU. To find out more and stay connected, follow us on Instagram @capustudentlife