As one of your first CapU experiences, the International Student Orientation will be fun and meaningful!
The International Student Orientation is part of a series of exciting and informative events where you will see the CapU spirit come alive!
This is your opportunity to meet your fellow students and learn about your new University all while having fun and making your first CapU memories.
Fall 2022 International Student Orientation
Friday, September 2, 2022 (online/virtual)
8:30 — 10:30 a.m. (PST)
The International Student Orientation is mandatory for all new international students to attend.
This virtual session is tailored for you as a new international student and will cover everything from effective transition tools and academic integrity, to student basics, study permits, and health insurance.
If you are uncertain about your travel plans or study permit status, we still recommend you register for this virtual session so you can be prepared to begin your experience as a CapU student in the event that your study permit is approved in time to start the semester with us.
Campus-wide fall orientation
The International Student Orientation is just one part of the larger campus wide Orientation events that have been planned for you this fall semester.
You can expect many fun opportunities to explore your new campus, make lots of new friends, and familiarize yourself with everything CapU has to offer!
Below is a schedule of main events. For specific event details, visit our main New Student Orientation page.
Registration links and further details for the International Student Orientation and other campus-wide Orientation events will also be sent to your CapU email in the weeks prior to the start of the semester.
Tuesday, Aug. 30 | 10 a.m. — 12 p.m.
Virtual Orientation Kick-Off — mandatory for all new students
Wednesday, Aug. 31 — Thursday, Sept. 1
Orientation breakout sessions — optional for all students
Wednesday, Aug. 31
Program orientation sessions — Not all programs will have a program specific orientation. You will be contacted directly by your program is one is scheduled.
Friday, Sept. 2 | 8:30 — 10:30 a.m.
International Student Orientation — mandatory for all new international students
Tuesday, Sept. 6 | 11:30 a.m. — 3 p.m.
CapU Street Party & President's BBQ — entire CapU community welcome
Wednesday, Sept. 7 — Friday, Sept. 9
CapU Social Week — optional for all students
CapU Epic Scavenger Hunt – Fall 2022
September 7 – 9 | CapU North Vancouver Campus
Calling all CapU Students! We challenge you to join one of the most exciting scavenger hunt contests of all time! Win epic prizes such as Apple AirPods, Amazon Fire tablets and Kindle eReaders, smart speakers, gift cards and more!
Wednesday, Sept. 7
- Capilano Varsity Arm Logo Hoodie
- JBL Flip 6 Waterproof Bluetooth Wireless Speaker
- Amazon Echo Show 5 (2nd Generation)
Thursday, Sept. 8
- Amazon Kindle 6" Digital eReader with Touchscreen & Front Light
- Fitbit Versa 2 40mm Smartwatch with Amazon Alexa & Heart Rate Tracking
- $50 Visa Gift Card
Friday, Sept. 9
- $50 Cineplex E-gift Card
- Amazon Fire 7 7" 16GB Android Tablet
- Apple AirPods (2nd Generation)
Follow @capilanoucie on Instagram and check out our stories on Monday May 9th, Wednesday May 11th and Friday, May 13th with clues for each treasure voucher!
Make sure you have enabled notifications so no tips are missed! Each initial clue will be posted at 1 p.m. and additional clues will be posted every 30 minutes until each treasure has been found!
Ensure you are following @capilanoucie especially if your account is private.
Found a Treasure Voucher?
Once you have found a treasure voucher, let us know by sharing your success with us on Instagram using the hashtag #ciescavengerhunt2022.
Your post must include a picture of yourself with the treasure voucher. You will then be contacted by our admin to redeem in your prize in the CIE Office.
- If you find a treasure voucher, post your picture with the voucher on Instagram with the hashtag #ciescavengerhunt2022 to claim your prize
- Winners must collect their prizes within 24 hours
- All current CapU students are eligible to play and must provide their student number to collect the prize.
- Ensure you are following the CIE account, especially if your account is private.
- The treasures are hidden within CapU’s North Vancouver premises only.
- Do not damage the property – the treasure vouchers will not be buried or in high places such as trees or ledges. Be safe!
- The treasure voucher will not be hidden in between books or inside books in the library. Ensure you keep all areas organized.
- Cheating, stealing, sabotaging, damaging property, or breaking the rules will result in automatic disqualification.
- Prizes are limited to one per student for the duration of the contest. Please do not collect multiple vouchers.
- Share your journey with us on social media using the hashtag #ciescavengerhunt2022 as you search for the treasure vouchers for a chance to win other exclusive swag such as CapU T-shirts, hats and more!
- Reading the clues and analyzing the hints will help you more than searching everywhere at once.
- By participating in the contest, students agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of CapU which shall be final in all respects.
- By participating in the contest, students agree to have their image used by CapU.
September 7 — 15 | Optional Virtual and In-Person Sessions
Are you an International Student interested in learning about your new life in Canada? Come to this workshop where we’ll talk about all the essentials: health care, SIN number, taxes and benefits, finding a job and pathways to Permanent Residency.
This workshop is provided by the North Shore Multicultural Society, a social service organization helping newcomers to Canada.
Did you know you are required to cite your sources for written assignments in Canada? Join Ashley Manhas, the Public Services Librarian, and learn the basics of citing.
Participants will practice creating a reference list or works cited citations, and learn strategies to confidently cite any source in APA or MLA.
Learn more about your Guard.me benefits, exclusions, how to submit claims and find preferred clicks. The session will be followed by a Q&A so you can clarify any questions you may have.
Learn more about cellphone plans that fit on a student’s budget, exclusive back-to-school deals, Fido XTRAS, the difference between a contract and pre-paid mobile plans and more!
6 Tips to Avoid Unintentional Cheating and Plagiarism — Thursday, Sept. 15 | 11:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m.
In this interactive & in-person session, you will develop an understanding of academic integrity, find out tips and resources to avoid unintentional cheating and plagiarism, and learn about your rights and responsibilities at CapU. Pizza and refreshments will be provided. Registration is required.
Location: Library Building, 3rd floor, room LB321
New International Student Mixer
Join us for an evening of music, free food, fun activities, prizes, and an opportunity to meet with the CapU international student community including our mentors from the International Leadership and Mentorship Program.
All international students are welcome!
Location: Library Building, 3rd floor, room LB321. We cannot wait to see you there!
Welcome Guide for International Students
Check out your Welcome Guide for New International Students on eLearn! It has everything you need to know (and then some) about starting at CapU and will be an important resource for you to reference at different times throughout your studies.
To access the Welcome Guide, log in to eLearn and click on the Welcome Guide for New International Students course in your dashboard. Note: you will need your CapU login and password to access eLearn.
Sign up for a student mentor
Our mentors are in their second year or more and are eager to share helpful tips and tricks for being a successful student, show you how to access student services, and invite you to fun events so you can start meeting new people and making new friends.