For a detailed, step-by-step guide for planning your travel during COVID-19, please visit Information for International Students Travelling to Canada.

General Questions

The majority of classes at Capilano University will be offered in-person, with some courses being offered via adapted modes of delivery

When registering, each course will indicate its mode of delivery so that students will be able to see whether a course is offered in-person (face-to-face), online (web-based), mixed mode (a combination of online and in-person) or off-site (practicums or community-based delivery).

We are aware that in some countries, IELTS and TOEFL English Language proficiency testing may be unavailable due to COVID-19 interruptions. As an alternative, we are temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test (DET) as proof of English language proficiency, until the Fall 2022 term. Please be sure to check your individual program area for English Language requirements.

  • Time zones: Please account for time zones when you select courses. Some courses have scheduled class times when students are expected to be online and participating in the class.
  • Internet requirements: You will be required to stream videos and video conferencing. You are responsible for all internet costs associated with your connections in your country.
  • Online learning platforms: Learn how to use eLearn, MS Teams, Zoom, WebExSkype.
  • Textbooks and resources: The CapU Bookstore will not ship internationally. Most instructors will assign digital resources, but in some cases, you may need to find your books independently on Amazon or from the publisher.
  • Access: Some content posted by instructors can be restricted to viewing within Canada only. This may require the use of a personal VPN set to view content from Canada.

There will still be an International Student Orientation for the Summer Intake on May 4, 2022. New students will receive further details to their CapU student email address from the Centre for International Experience in the weeks prior to the event.

(Updated April 14, 2022)

Service Canada is accepting Social Insurance Number (SIN) applications, you have the option to apply online or by mail, or in person at a Service Canada Centre.

(Updated April 14, 2022)

Travel Questions

Please reference the Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): International students webpage and the Government of Canada, Flying to Canada Check List for a full list of requirements to travel to Canada. 

Please also review our Information for International Student Travelling to Canada webpage for a full summary of considerations.

(Updated April 14, 2022)

If you have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit, and meet all other travel requirements, you may be permitted to re-enter Canada.

Please note: if your study permit expires while you are outside of Canada, you will not be able to return until your study permit extension/renewal is approved and you receive your new valid study permit. Your entry to Canada is subject to Government of Canada travel restrictions.

Before travelling, please reference the following resources:

Please ensure you also read the most recent Government of Canada travel advisory, the travel advisory for your own country, and the countries you may be transiting through before making your travel decisions and arrangements.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Study Permit & Post Graduation Work Permit Questions

Yes, you are permitted to enroll as a full-time student and take online courses outside of Canada. To be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled in 9 or more credits (9 credits usually equals 3 courses).

However, please be mindful that if you do not have a study permit, have not been approved for a study permit, or have not applied for a study permit before starting your program, you will not be eligible for the post-graduation work permit program (PGWP). Please understand the implications to your PGWP eligibility should you decide to take courses online without an approved study permit.

(Updated May 5, 2022)

For those who are currently outside of Canada and cannot travel at this time, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has confirmed that you’re still eligible for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP) program, provided that you:


  • have been enrolled in a program that was in progress in March 2020, or
  • have started or will start a program between spring 2020 and summer 2022,


  • you have a study permit, or
  • you’ve been approved for a study permit, or
  • you applied for a study permit before starting your study program (your study permit must eventually be approved)

If any of these situations describes you, you will be qualified for the PGWP program.

Please be mindful that only time spent studying online outside of Canada since spring 2020 until summer 2022 will count toward the length of your PWGP. Time spent studying outside Canada after August 31, 2022, won’t count towards the length of a PGWP.

Please continue to review Government of Canada COVID-19: International Students for ongoing updates.

(Updated May 5, 2022)

Yes! Despite the impacts of COVID-19 on Study Permit processing time, we strongly encourage all eligible applicant to submit their application as soon as they receive their Letter of Acceptance from CapU.  

If you’re applying for a study permit, you should apply online, whether you’re outside of Canada or already in Canada.

When you apply, you should:

If you can’t apply online because of a disability or because there’s a problem with the online application, you can apply on paper.

Please continue to review Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada COVID-19: International Students for ongoing updates.

(Updated January 19, 2022)

If your study permit will expire soon and you need more time to complete your program, you should apply/renew to extend your study permit via IRCC Online Services before the expiry date of your study permit.

If your study permit expires while your extension application is being processed, you will still be able to continue studying because you will have implied status. It is recommended that you apply 3 months before your study permit expires to allow for longer processing times.

Follow the step-by-step instructions outlined in Module 9 in your International Student Welcome Guide on e-Learn.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Due to COVID-19 concerns, many biometrics collection locations, including Service Canada Offices, have suspended collection. According to a recent CBIE/IRCC update, you are exempt from giving biometrics if you're applying from within Canada

  • to extend your stay as a student, worker or visitor
  • to restore your status as a student, worker or visitor
  • for a work or study permit
  • for a visitor visa
  • for a temporary resident permit

This applies to all new applications as well as applications already in progress. It applies even if

  • your application form for a work permit, study permit or visitor visa says it's for applicants outside Canada
  • our online application system asks you to pay a biometric fee (CAN$85)

This temporary measure does not apply if you're outside Canada.

Biometrics fees:
You do not have to pay the biometric fee when you submit your application, even if the system tells you to pay it. If you paid the fee,

  • You will automatically be refund the fee once your application is finalized
  • the online application system will automatically send you a biometric instruction letter (BIL) telling you how to give your biometrics
    • You do not need to give biometrics, and you can ignore this letter.

If you are outside of Canada:
Applicants are advised to apply for their study permit extensions with a letter of explanation for documents they are unable to provide due to the current pandemic, and provide them when they are able to. While your study permit extension application is under review, you will have implied/maintained status until you can submit required documents and a decision is made. Please note, IRCC is currently offering extensions to submit biometrics until centres re-open. Learn more.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

The number of hours you are entitled to work as an international student remains unchanged during the time in-person classes are cancelled. If you are enrolled as a full-time student in the Fall or Spring terms and your study permit allows you to work on- or off-campus or both, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus. Please review Module 8 of your Welcome Guide for International Students on eLearn for more information about working while studying. 

Our in-house licensed Immigration Advisors maintain their scheduled drop-in advising hours, but are conducting sessions by phone and zoom. If you would like to speak to an Immigration Advisor, please join one of the drop-in Zoom sessions or fill out the Immigration Advising Request Form and you will be contacted in the order requests are received. Please ensure you are available during the upcoming scheduled advising hours until you have been contacted.

Please note, all CIE advising hours are conducted in Pacific Standard Time (PST). If you are requesting to be contacted outside of British Columbia, please use a Time Zone Converter to determine the reciprocal time in your area.

(Updated January, 2022)

Financial Questions

If you do not wish to attend courses during the Spring or Summer 2022 term, and would prefer to start at a later term, you can submit a Request for Deferred Admissions. Please note, we will do our best to accommodate requests but it will depend on availability and space in your program.

If you choose to withdraw from a program, full refunds can only be provided to students who de-register prior to the first day of classes. Please refer to the Fee Refund page on our website for more info.

Please be sure to drop all courses before submitting a request to defer your admission.

(Updated January, 2022) 

While we are aware that many students are facing uncommon challenges due to reduced ability to work and other financial pressures, at this time our fee payment deadlines have not changed.

(Updated January, 2022)

guard.me Temporary Health Insurance 

All new CapU international students will be automatically enrolled in guard.me temporary health insurance in order to ensure your well-being during the 3 month MSP waiting period. MSP is the Medical Services Plan of British Columbia and is mandatory for anyone who will be living in British Columbia for longer than six months. 

Opt-out Options for the Summer 2022 Intake

Please ensure you opt-out by May 23, 2022 if one of the following options applies to you:

  1. I have valid BC MSP Coverage
    If you are covered by BC MSP, you are eligible to opt-out of the guard.me insurance plan. To opt out, you must complete the online application and provide proof of MSP coverage for the entire term or your opt-out will be declined. If your application to opt-out is received prior to the deadline and is submitted successfully, you will not be charged for guard.me medical insurance.

  2. I am studying outside of Canada for the Summer 2022 semester
    If you will not be in Canada for the Summer 2022 semester, you may opt out by successfully completing the Out of Canada Declaration and Waiver. If your application to opt-out is received prior to the deadline and is submitted successfully, you will not be charged for guard.me medical insurance. Please note, if you decide to come to Canada after choosing this option, you will be required to purchase late arrival coverage. This will become available for purchase after the end of add/drop period.

Transit Pass: U-Pass BC/ Compass Card

The U-Pass BC program is structured as a universal and mandatory program for students at participating public post-secondary institutions; it is this universal model that makes the affordability of the U-Pass BC program possible. For the Summer 2022 term, students are exempt if they are residing outside Metro Vancouver for the duration of the term and are enrolled in a program (or classes) that are conducted entirely online and do not require attendance on-campus (proof of residence must be supplied). 

Please check the CapU U-Pass Eligibility and Exemptions webpage for more information and for updates on the exemption request submission deadline for the Summer 2022 term. 

(Updated April 14, 2022)

International students may be eligible for financial assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements. Visit the COVID-19: Financial support for people link on the Government of Canada website, and use the Financial help tool to discover what benefits or financial aid you may be eligible for.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

If you are experiencing an unexpected financial emergency or unmet financial need, you may be eligible for Covid-19 Emergency Financial Assistance from Capilano University. Please note, the amount of funding per student is limited, and there are a limited number of funds available overall. Please visit COVID-19 Emergency Financial Assistance for details on how to apply.

If you have been paying into employment insurance, and you meet the minimum eligibility requirements, then yes as an international student, you can apply to receive employment insurance benefits.

Health & Vaccination Questions

COVID-19 vaccines will be available to everyone living in BC. You do not need to be in the BC MSP health insurance program (BC Services card or public health number) to get the vaccine. You do not need to be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency to get the COVID-19 vaccine. However, you must have a public health number in order to register online. If you do not have a public health number, you can register for your vaccine by calling the province-wide call centre (1-833-838-2323) or in-person at a ServiceBC office.

More information is available on the Immunize BC website here


Additionally, proof of vaccination (the vaccine card) will no longer be required to access non-essential indoor campus events, sporting activities or to live in student housing.

Please note, individual businesses and organizations can choose to continue to require the BC Vaccine Card proof on their premises.

Visit the Province of British Columbia Vaccine Card webpage and follow the steps to receiving your vaccine card.

1. Check the Government of Canada webpage to find out if your vaccine is approved in Canada.

2. Upload your immunization record to the Provincial website: COVID-19 Vaccination Submission.  

If you do not have a Personal Health Number (PHN) yet, you can register by phone by calling 1-833-838-2323, and select option 1. You will be referred to a healthcare professional who will book an appointment with you for your next steps. 

According to B.C.’s indoor mask policy, mask-wearing will be optional for all students, employees and visitors on all CapU campuses and properties. While masks are no longer mandated, we support everyone’s choice to wear a mask if they feel more comfortable doing so. Review CapU’s Campus Ready webpage for more information. 

We recognize this is a challenging time to be away from home and that you may be feeling isolated. 

If you would like to talk to a counsellor, Student Counselling is available by phone for students who are currently residing in British Columbia. You can email counselling@capilanou.ca or phone 604 984 1744. For immediate crisis situations or after hours support, you can reach the 24-Hour Distress Line at 604-872-3311 or 1 800 SUICIDE (1 800 784 2433). More Student Support Services are provided in our Campus Services information. The Here2Talk program is also available to all students currently registered in a BC post-secondary institution, offering access to free, confidential counselling and community referral services, conveniently available 24/7 via app, phone and web.

If you would like to connect with an international student mentor and discuss ways to get engaged while maintaining social distance, please email iengage@capilanou.ca (from your CapU email address) with 'Looking for an International Student Mentor' in the title subject line. In your email, please include your full name, student number, hobbies, program of study and your country of origin.

The CIE has two social media platforms we use to connect with our international student body. We encourage you to start following our CIE (@capilanoucie) and International Leadership and Mentorship Program (@capuilmp) on Instagram and Facebook to stay engaged.

Be sure to check out what the Capilano Student Union (CSU) is doing, as they have activities, clubs and events for all students. Also, continue to check the Co-Curricular Record and Career Hub for workshops, events and job opportunities.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

If you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, please refer to the BC Centre for Disease Control health information. If you are covered under the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), you may access provincial medical services. If you are a new international student covered under guard.me insurance, please follow the advice and instructions of mobileDOCTOR by guard.me.

Medical health services are available at the North Vancouver campus during the Fall and Spring terms. Dental hygene servies are available during all semesters.

(Updated January, 2022)

If your temporary permits have expired and you no longer have MSP coverage, you may be provided temporary MSP coverage if:

  • You are currently living in B.C.;
  • You have applied for a new work or study permit (implied/maintained status);
  • You were previously enrolled in MSP as a deemed resident; and
  • Your MSP coverage has expired. 

Contact Health Insurance BC to request this temporary coverage. 

For more information please visit here.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Helpful links

Info for International Students

Learn more about travelling to Canada as an international student.

Find out more

Campus Ready at CapU

Find all the resources you need to be ready to start your time at CapU.

get Campus Ready