Submit an online application to Capilano University, this is required before you submit your portfolio.
Applicants must submit their portfolio through the online portal SlideRoom.
upload to SlideRoom
The portfolio should consist of 5-10 images demonstrating your artistic and creative skills. Post your best and most recent work. The portfolio should consist of a variety of drawings and/or designs and may include:
- Quick sketches, gesture drawings and sustained drawings of the human figure, clothed or nude or animals in various action poses.
- Compositional drawings of objects or locations include household objects, architectural drawings, layouts, still life, etc.
- Original drawings or designs showcasing your drawing abilities and personal interests.
- Traditional and hand-drawn work should be scanned. If you don't have access to a scanner check your local library or school. In a pinch a digital camera will work, however, the quality will likely not be as good due to lighting issues (like using a flash). Photographing artwork on an overcast day without a flash will give better results.
Once you create your account in SlideRoom you can begin uploading your portfolio and other requirements. Take your time; you may edit your submission as much as you like but remember that we can review it only after you click the SUBMIT button!
What not to include in your portfolio
Originality is vital. Do not submit work that is not your own. If you have to include drawings you made from an anatomy book or any kind of group project, make sure you label what is not yours and whose work it is. If we see work that is not yours but looks like you're trying to pass it off as yours, it will reflect poorly on the whole portfolio.
Drawing from photographs is less impressive than drawings from life because, with a photo, much of the work is done for you already (and it usually looks flat and lifeless anyway). If you have to send us drawings you copied from photos, make sure you still have examples of life drawing and original sketchbook work.
- Apply to Capilano University before submitting your portfolio to SlideRoom.
- The deadline for uploading a portfolio is May 31, 2022.
Late applications will be accepted if there are not enough qualified candidates selected from the portfolio reviews. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
If possible, applicants are encouraged to attend one of our free open house sessions before they apply, in order to see the facilities, talk to students, observe their work and ask questions about our programs.