Career Development Guides, Job Search Websites, Salary Guide Websites and Employment Law Resources.
Updated Career Development Centre Guides
- Career Development Centre Resume Guide (pdf)
- Career Development Centre Cover Letter Guide (pdf)
- Career Development Centre Interview Guide (pdf)
- Career Development Centre Networking Guide (pdf)
- Developing Your Value Proposition (pdf)
- Action Verb List (pdf)
- Dress for Success (pdf)
- Career Planning Guide (pdf)
General Job Search Twitter Accounts
In addition to following the companies that you want to work for, here are some excellent Twitter accounts for job seekers in Vancouver. Not sure how to use Twitter in your job search? Check out the Career Development Centre Networking Guide (pdf)!
- @CapUCDC – A summary of all jobs posted on the Cap U job board plus relevant career articles and resources.
- @jobvancouver – Updated throughout the day with jobs from all industries – an excellent resource!
- @BC_TopEmployers – New jobs posted by winners of this year's BC's Top Employers competition.
- @BC_jobs – The Twitter account for job search engine Eluta.ca tweets new jobs in British Columbia, directly from employer websites.
- @Vancouver_PRO – The Twitter account for Workopolis provides information on professional job opportunities in Vancouver.
- @Jobsprout – Canada's leading job site committed to connecting job seekers to active opportunities. We are where smart people meet smart careers.
- @NeuvooVancouver – This Montreal start-up is growing and tweets job opportunities in Vancouver across all industries.
- @Wowjobs – Canada's largest job search site with over 175,000 posts from 5000 sources.
- @ct100_jobs – New jobs at the winning employers chosen for this year's Canada's Top 100 Employers competition.
Industry Specific Job Search Twitter Accounts
- @go2JobBoard – The Twitter account for the awesome job board! Get the latest BC tourism and hospitality job postings from go2HR's Job Board.
- @BestJobsInVan – Lesley Chang's tweets are an excellent source if you are looking for communications, design, marketing, PR jobs and internships in Vancouver.
- @CanadaGreenJobs – Canada's largest community of environmental changemakers, sustainability professionals, job seekers and volunteers.
- @NeuvooVancouver – Individual Twitter accounts are set up for many industries including, @NeuvooSocMedVan (social media opportunities) and @NeuvooITVan (IT opportunities).
- @EightSixNetwork – Hospitality, restaurant and retail jobs across Canada.
- @JobsVancouverHQ – Looking for IT jobs in Vancouver? This is the account to follow!
- @HRTechGroup – A network of human resources people working for BC technology companies.
- @TechVibes – Canada's technology news site, events calendar, and job board.
Salary Guide Websites
- Work BC – Search for your industry/career to find out the average salary in BC.
- Glassdoor – Find company specific salaries in addition to the national and BC average.
- Wowjobs – Search salaries from over 5 million job postings in Canada.
- LinkedIn Salary (must have a LinkedIn account and be logged in to use)
- Robert Half
- WorkBC – Find out the earnings of each occupation.
General Job Websites
- Work BC – Employment opportunities in the lower mainland and across British Columbia.
- Indeed.ca – A comprehensive search engine for jobs.
- BC Jobs – Locally based source for job seekers, bringing candidates and employers together for over 14 years.
- Canada's Job Bank – A database of job postings in all of Canada, sponsored by Service Canada.
- LinkedIn Jobs – Powerful job search tool, job-seeker and career-development content and rich-media presentations crafted by industry experts for logged-in LinkedIn members and guests.
- EightSix Network – A hospitality, restaurant and retail job site with hundreds of jobs for students and alumni across Canada.
- Eluta.ca – A job search engine that specializes in finding new jobs directly from employer websites.
- Raisinjobs.com – Great jobs for students looking for part-time and full-time work in retail, customer service and hospitality.
- Workopolis – One of Canada's largest employment search and career planning websites. Jobs from all industries and sectors are posted on their site.
- Monster.ca – One of the largest employment search engines in the world. Jobs in all industries are represented.
- Glassdoor – A job board listing employment opportunities with employee reviews.
- CareerBuilder.ca – Canada's largest employment website. Jobs from all industries and sectors are posted.
- Job Application Guide – Specific information and advice on how to prepare for and apply to every major company in America (including organizations with locations in BC).
- Jobsprout – This Vancouver start-up utilized the strength of social media to connect job seekers with opportunities throughout Canada.
- Adzuna – A comprehensive database of employment opportunities in Canada and employment statistics.
- Wowjobs – Canada's largest job search site host to more than 175,000 job posts from 5000 different sources.
- Job Applications – Provides printable and online applications for Canadian companies in many different industries.
- Any Intern – The world's largest internship and work experience directory.
- BestJobs4Grads – Over 1,000,000 jobs and over 60,000 internships/co-op opportunities in a variety of many different fields.
- Careerjet – Access to a huge selection of jobs that are sourced from various internet sites, saving the trouble of having to visit each site individually.
- Land Your Life – A resource for the most thoroughly researched job application and interview guides on the Web. Students can pore over a database of guides to find temporary or permanent employment while they finish their degree.
- Work at Facebook – "People are at the heart of every connection we build. We design products and deliver services that create a more human world — one connection at a time."
- Employment Guides – Find description, overview, salary, etc. for each occupation.
- Career-Launcher Internship Program
- Job Gurus
- Skyhive- No more resumes. No more cover letters. Find work tailored to your skillset with world's first skills-based job matching platform.
Websites by concentration
- FreshGigs – Canada wide creative and marketing opportunities.
- Culture Works – Job board for the cultural sector in Canada.
- Alliance for Arts & Culture – Opportunities for various artistic disciplines in BC.
- T-Net – Resources for technology companies, industry suppliers and individuals within the BC technology industry.
- BC Tech Jobs – A premier online job board dedicated to finding qualified, exceptional talent for BC tech companies.
- Techvibes – Techvibes is Canada's leading technology news site, events calendar, and job board.
Motion Picture Arts
- MPC – one of the global leaders in VFX for over 25 years.
- VFX Vancouver Job Board – Official job board of the Visual Effects Society (Vancouver Section).
Government / Public Service
- British Columbia Government Postings – All of the job openings with the BC Provincial Government.
- Public Service Commission of Canada – All of the job openings with the Federal Government of Canada.
- Civicjobs.ca – Is a Canada-wide one-stop shop for municipal government careers, and the broad spectrum that they represent. This job posting site aims to match up civic government employers with the best employees from across the country.
- Federal Students Work Experience Program – Hires students for federal government programs (Customs, RCMP, Employment Centers etc.). Veterans Affairs Canada collects applications for students who wish to work at the Vimy Memorial and Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial in France during the summer. Apply early!
- Vancouver Coastal Health – Access up-to-date information on career opportunities, VCH programs and services, healthy living tips, and professional resources in Vancouver, West Vancouver, Richmond, North Shore, Powell River, Sea to Sky, and Sunshine Coast.
- Fraser Health Authority – Connects you to all the opportunites being offered by Fraser Health. Their medical services assists over 1.5 millilon people from Burnaby to White Rock and to Hope.
- Provincial Health Services Authority – An alternative to hospitals, the PHSA is an organization that manages the, "the quality, coordination, accessibility and cost of selected province-wide health care programs and services."
- Health Care Jobs BC – Dedicated exclusively to health care jobs in BC.
- Interior Health – "Interior Health is one of six health authorities responsible for publicly funded health services in British Columbia."
- Health Match BC – A free health professional recruitment service funded by the Government of British Columbia (BC), Canada.
- Make a Future – Employment Opportunities in British Columbia's education system (Elementary to Secondary Schools).
- Childcare Advantage – Childcare Advantage is Canada's only online service devoted entirely to helping organizations find qualified child care staff.
- Education Canada - A resource for education professionals and entrepreneurs.
- Canadian Youth Business Foundation – Organization inspired to grow youth entrepreneurship culture across Canadian communities.
- Media Job Search Canada – Largest database of Canadian media related jobs.
- CBC – Canada's national televison and radio broadcaster that employs people from all over the country.
- Shaw Media – One of Canada's leading media organizations online, on television and in print.
- Charity Village – A one stop shop for all of the major not-for-profit organizations in Canada.
- Work in Non Profits – A website dedicated to strengthening Canada's non profit sector. Jobs posted from across the country.
- AMSSA (Affiliation of Multicultural Societies and Service Agencies of BC) – Non-profit job opportunities.
Recruitment Agencies in BC
- Angus One
- Arlyn Recruiting
- Avanta Consulting
- HAYS Specialist Recruitment Canada
- Hunt Personnel/Temporarily Yours
- McNeill Nakamoto Recruitment Group
- People First Solutions
- Randstad Canada
- Kelly Services
- Miles Employment Group Ltd.
- Best Personnel
- Career Contacts
- Staff Systems Inc
- Swim Recruiting
- 500 Staffing
- Vantage Resourcing
Volunteer and Internship Opportunities
Volunteering is a great way to develop job skills for the real world. An asset to any resume, volunteering gives you a sense of giving back to the community. We have a list of volunteer sites that offer local and international opportunities.
- Capilano University Student Union (CSU) Volunteer Registry
- North Shore Community Resources
- Volunteer or Intern Abroad
- Volunteer BaseCamp
National & International
- AIESEC – An international platform for young people to explore and develop their leadership potential.
- Apathy is Boring – A youth-run non-profit organization focused on helping young Canadians get engaged in democracy.
- Canadian Federation of Students – Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP) — Canada's largest exchange program for work and travel abroad.
- CIDA – Found out how Canadian youth are changing the world and making a difference.
- Me to We – A social enterprise founded by Craig Kielburger for people who want to help change the world with their daily choices. Participate in a trip, become a 'mob'ilizer' or take leadership training.
- United Nations – A resource for internships with the United Nations.
Employment Laws and Regulations
What is Bullying?
British Columbia has enacted anti-bullying legislation for the workplace. Learn more about bullying through Worksafe BC.
If you are being bullied or suspect you are being bullied on campus, please contact Capilano University's Conflict Resolution Officer.
** Please report any broken links to us at email@example.com