The Career Development Centre and Riipen are committed to helping students build their career competencies through experiential learning opportunities. We aim to improve students' employability upon graduation and minimize barriers for those who have no prior experience in the field through Level UP program.
What is Riipen's Level UP program?
Level UP is an innovative work-integrated learning program powered by Riipen and sponsored by the Government of Canada to prepare students in post-secondary education and employers (or organizations) to thrive in the future of work.
Students (individually or in groups) will connect with organizations for short term paid projects that help them gain relevant work experiences, build professional networks, gain career clarity, and develop their skills.
How does Level UP work?
Once students complete a quick eligibility verification and create a free Riipen account, they can browse through thousands of projects posted by real organizations, specifically for Level UP. Each project is 80 hours in length, with a flexible schedule of 2-8 weeks, centered around your own availability.
Once the project is completed, you'll complete an exit survey and be paid a $1400 stipend by Riipen, administered via Interac electronic transfer. Students can apply to work on projects in teams, picking group members from your own list of friends, Riipen's LinkedIn community of students, or completing the projects solo.
There are over a dozen categories of projects currently available (with more being added every day), meaning you're likely to find a great match to your own interests. Level UP runs until March 2022, with applications being accepted from a waitlist.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for Level UP you must fit all of the following criteria:
- be a current student registered in a Canadian post-secondary education institution, with no age limit;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or persons to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- are legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
At this time, international students or students with temporary residency status are not eligible for Level UP. If that is you, fill out the Level UP student eligibility form to request more information when it becomes available from the Level UP program team.
We are committed to protecting your privacy and personal information through responsible information management practices. We collect, use, retain, disclose and dispose of personal information in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), other applicable legislation and Capilano University privacy management practices. However, this form is provided by an external resource. This form collects personal information to fulfill your information request. Please contact email@example.com for answers to questions regarding its content.
- Fits your busy schedule: Each project takes 80 hours per person and has a flexible timeline to complete over 2-8 weeks
- Select your project: Select from a variety of projects designed to be completed 100% remotely
- Pick your group: Pick group members from your own list of friends, Riipen's LinkedIn community of students, or work independently (solo)
- Get paid for your hard work: Earn $1400 per person for completing a project whether it was in a group or solo
- 100% free: There is no cost to you as a student – ever!
With a variety of projects currently available and more being added daily, students have their choice of projects including:
- Marketing research
- Computer science and machine learning
- Science/technical writing
- Financial analysis
- Public health education campaigns
- Social media marketing
- Supply chain management and logistics
- More being added daily!
- Research and development of an organization’s diversity policy
- Research for a company's internal expansion
- Sales support
- Content writing
- Literature research and synthesis
- Feasibility study for a new company or product
How to get started
Frequently asked questions
There is no limit to the number of projects you take on at a time, as long as you are able to manage and continue to qualify for the program.
If it was a group project, does that mean the stipend of $1400 will be divided amongst the group members?
No, each team member receives the $1400, it is not divided.
Stipend will be paid directly by Riipen once they have submitted their project(s) and completed the exit survey.
You can view the different program pages and projects available by visiting Level UP's internship programs. Just keep in mind that you cannot apply until you go through the sign-up process.
You will also notice that they're listed as "Internship Program" pages. It is important to keep in mind that these are not traditional internships, which is why they are called 'Short Projects'.
The eligibility form takes 1-2 minutes to complete. From there, the length of the application process can vary depending on the employer and how long they take to review candidates. Some students will get approved for projects instantly, while other may have to wait a couple of days.
However, due to the current demand from students across the country, the Riipen Level UP program is now waitlisting interested students.
Yes, but only students that complete a Level UP project and submit their final deliverable will be compensated.
Please visit Level UP FAQs for Students for more information.