CapU Virtual Run Club
Join our campus community in challenges to get you moving! With over 150 members, our CapU Strava Club is a great place to stay motivated (and maybe even win some prizes).
So far we have hosted a number of events: Virtual 5km Run/Walk, the Virtual Duathlon, the CapU Rec Summit Challenge, and the CapU Rec Week of Movement Challenge.
How to join?
Using the run-tracking app Strava, students and employees can sign up and join our CapU Virtual Run Club. With your Strava account, you can record your events outside on the roads and trails (or inside on a treadmill or bike) on the date of the event. The app will automatically track your route and log your entry when you record your activity.
CapU ISPARC Virtual Run/Walk Program
January 18 — April 24
What is it?
Capilano University Indigenous Student Services and CapU Rec present the CapU ISPARC Virtual Run/Walk Program. ISPARC is the Indigenous Sport, Physical Activity & Recreation Council who we have partnered with to facilitate this run/walk program.
This is a great way for students, staff, or faculty to connect virtually while getting outside and running or walking. Join us for chances to win a $150 Nike gift card or one of the two Fitbit Smart Watches!
If you’re interested in participating in this year’s Vancouver Sun Run event, Indigenous Student Services has funding available to help cover the cost of registration fees for Indigenous students! Pre-register now or find out more information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to participate
Join us virtually for our information session on Jan. 18, from 12-1 p.m. via Zoom to find out more.
Any time of day on Tuesdays, record an activity of 30 minutes or more through our Strava group. Each activity will enter you for a chance to win one of our prizes! We will encourage each other from a distance and hope to see you out at the SunRun where we can come together as a team!
How to sign up for our Strava club
- Download the Strava App onto your mobile phone or desktop computer
- Sign up with an email and create a password
- Create your profile by entering in your information
- To use the free version of Strava, do not subscribe to a paid account and click skip on the top right corner of the screen.
- Once you’ve set up your account, click on ‘Groups’ on the menu on the bottom of your screen.
- Click ‘Clubs’ on the top right of the screen
- Click the magnifying glass to search for our Strava Group: Type in "CapU ISPARC Run Walk Club"
- Now you’ve joined us! Each Tuesday, record your activity of 30 minutes or more and we can all cheer you on virtually!
Want to work out on your own time? Recreation Movement is an online portal that allows you to access hundreds of live and pre-recorded fitness classes from different Universities across North America. See below for how to get started!
How to Participate
- Go to the Recreation Movement site
- Create an account using your @my.capilanou.ca or @capilanou.ca email address
- Choose and take your class
- Log your minutes
Five Minutes of Movement video series
We’re all sitting much more than we want to be these days. Bring some energy into your day with a quick movement break with CapU Rec’s new series of "Five Minutes of Movement" videos.
There are 5 videos that vary in intensity; some have seated exercises and some are standing.
Feeling inspired? Share a video with your peers as a classroom break, or in your next zoom meeting.
Resources for Instructors
Wondering how to add a movement break into your class or meeting? Check out our helpful How to Bring a Movement Break into your Virtual Classroom (pdf) guide.