What are the benefits to being a Peer Helper?
There are many benefits of becoming a Peer Helper:
- Reference letters provided to Peer Helpers by staff or faculty overseeing the program
- Access to professional development opportunities are increased
- Increased opportunities for connecting with other students on campus
- Enhanced leadership skills through training and the peer helping experience
- Being a Peer Helper is a Co-Curricular Record approved activity
What teams have Peer helpers?
Each of the teams below are part of the Peers Helping Peers program. They each have unique roles that the Peer Helper would take on. Some focus more on one-to-one support, others support larger groups of students, and some do more outreach.
- Accessibility Mentors
- Autism Mentoring Project
- Athletic and Recreation Peer Support Coach
- CapU Works
- Chat Café
- Career Development Ambassador
- Education and Employment Access Program
- Indigenous Mentorship Program
- International Leadership and Mentorship Program
- Portfolio Project
- Residence Life
- Starting For Success
- Let's Get Consensual Peer Helper
- Writing Centre
How does the application process work for Peers Helping Peers?
This is a centralized recruitment form for multiple Peer Helper teams. By filling out this form, your application will be sent to all teams that you indicate in question 9. Those teams will then follow up with you separately for the next steps in the recruitment process if you are a potential fit with their team. You can be a Peer Helper for multiple teams, as long as you can balance it with your academic commitments.
The form below is the whole application; no resume or cover letter needed.
Please read the job job descriptions (pdf) to better understand the roles, as they also have different time commitments and compensation. If you have any questions about this form or the teams please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The roles that are open currently for applications are looking for students to start in Fall 2019.
Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the B.C. Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (“FIPPA”) and the University Act. This information is used only for the purposes stated at the beginning of the form. Your information will remain confidential, and will only be used or disclosed as authorized under the FIPPA. Should you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, please contact the email@example.com.