Faculty of Business & Professional Studies
School of Legal Studies
Our Paralegal Diploma graduates work in law firms, corporations and government agencies under the supervision of a lawyer performing interesting and rewarding substantive and procedural legal work.
The CapU Legal Studies department has an excellent reputation and our graduates are highly sought after. We work closely with the legal industry to ensure that our curriculum is current and relevant. Our Paralegal Diploma is a full-time 2-year program for students who have already completed a minimum of two years of post-secondary education or equivalent learning experience. This program includes substantive law, procedural law and legal skills courses and students are required to complete a six-month paid practicum at the end of their studies.
- Demonstrate the ability to examine various legal problems by identifying appropriate areas of the law and sources to consult in commencing the process of legal analysis.
- Demonstrate competence in researching legislation, case law and other secondary legal materials.
- Summarize legal research findings in appropriate legal formats with clear and compelling analysis and conclusions.
- Demonstrate competence in effective communication in legally relevant contexts such as presentations of case summaries, interviewing clients, and group presentations.
- Prepare, draft and produce legal documents, including pleadings and other court documents, wills, corporate documents, or real estate documents.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and ability to identify legal issues in a broad range of areas through an exposure to a variety of legal subjects.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 69.00
Continuation Requirement: Any student whose cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0 (C) will not be permitted to continue in the program.
Graduation Requirement: Students must complete all courses in the curriculum and achieve a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) or higher in order to graduate.
Jun 6, 2017 - May 1, 2018
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Jul 9, 2018
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 27, 2018 4:00 PM
Jun 5, 2018 - Aug 6, 2019
Note: Dates are subject to change.
BC Secondary School graduation (Grade 12) or equivalent; or Mature Student status
One of the following: 2 years full-time post-secondary education (with an academic focus); 1 year full-time post-secondary education (with an academic focus) plus relevant life/work experience; or relevant life/work learning experience at the discretion of the department.
Capilano English Language Requirement for students whose primary language is not English: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): paper=560, internet=83, or English Language Assessment (ELA)=145, or International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS)=6.5 overall, and no one score less than 6, or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)=70, or Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)=56 or Capilano University EAP 100 and 101 with a minimum B+ grade in each course.
The School of Legal Studies will review applications once the application package is complete. The applicant may be called for an interview if they meet the admission requirements.
English 100 level or higher course (B- or higher), CMNS 159 (B+ or higher) or LPI exam [www.lpitest.ca] (level 5 or higher – please note that in the School of Legal Studies the EDT is not accepted in place of the LPI).
Resume || Short handwritten essay (three pages, double-spaced) entitled, “Why I Want to Become a Paralegal” || Two letters of reference (preferably from past employers or college/university instructors) || Although not required, work experience in an office setting and a good working knowledge of computers are highly recommended.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University 2018-2019 Calendar (pdf).