Applicants must submit their portfolio and program applications through the online portal SlideRoom.
Upload to SlideRoom
Please submit between 15 and 20 images of recent work, either personal projects or assignments from school or another program.
We suggest a minimum of 5 non-digital drawings rendered directly from life, without using photographic reference. Our aim is to assess how you observe and respond to the living world.
For one of the drawings, arrange a still life consisting of one household object (e.g. scissors, a vegetable peeler, a hammer), one piece of drapery (e.g. a t-shirt, a dishtowel, a scarf), and one object from the natural world (e.g. a flower, a small branch, a pine cone). Complete your drawing in black and white using pencil or charcoal, in under one hour.
The other non-digital drawings can be any subject observed from life, for example, a human face or figure, your dog sleeping, a still life arrangement, a tree in your yard, the interior of your kitchen – and so on – in black and white or colour.
The remaining submissions can be any combination of illustration, painting, design, video, 3D, collage, animation or interactive design (website, app), and can be completed traditionally or digitally.
Photograph your work straight-on, in clear daylight. Avoid direct sunlight; north-facing light is best. Save photographs or digital images as JPEGs to a size of at least 1024 pixels wide.
The purpose of your portfolio is to demonstrate your creative potential. Portfolios are reviewed on the basis of drawing ability (observation, technique), design ability (clarity of thinking, communication, and structure), and creativity.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Early Admission (recommended):
- Apply to the University before you submit your portfolio online.
- Complete your SlideRoom submission between November 5, 2021 and January 26, 2022. Note: submissions received after this date will be considered in the Late Admission Period.
- Interviews and testing will take place Tuesday, February 22, 2022 and/or Wednesday, February 23, 2022 via video conferencing. Exact date(s) TBA. Applicants will be notified by email if their submission meets the standards of the program.
- Waitlisted applicants will be notified after the Late Admission period if space becomes available.
- Apply to the University before you submit your portfolio online (applications to the University close April 5, 2022).
- Complete your SlideRoom submission between January 28, 2022 and April 13, 2022.
- Interviews and testing will take place Wednesday, May 4, 2022 via video conferencing. Exact date(s) TBA. Applicants will be notified by email if their submission meets the standards of the program.
- Waitlisted applicants will be notified if space becomes available.