Before you start classes in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) Department at Capilano University, we need to place you in the correct EAP level.
The best way to find your level is to take our in-person English Placement Test (EPT) for EAP students. This test is given on the North Vancouver campus several times per year. If you cannot take the EPT, EAP also accepts other placement tests for placement including some online tests like Duolingo.
Some important information about our English Placement Test:
- The test costs $25 and takes about 3.5 hours.
- You will be tested on speaking, listening, writing, and reading
- The test is a paper/pencil test.
- Test scores will be emailed to you 1-2 days after taking the test.
You can register for the EPT if you have been admitted to the EAP Department at Capilano University. You will need your CapU student ID number. To register for the EPT, choose one of the test dates and fill out the information below:
EAP accepts other placement tests for placement into our EAP levels:
Duolingo English Test overview
If you choose to take the Duolingo English Test (DET), please read the following instructions carefully.
- This test requires about one hour and is available online 24/7.
- The test costs $49 USD on a major credit card or PayPal.
- You can take a free practice test that will give you an estimate of your score.
- Before taking the official test, please create an account and pay for the full test.
- Identification to show on camera includes passport, driver’s license, or government photo ID, but the rules are different for each country.
- Test scores will be emailed to you within 48 hours. You can then decide if you want your scores sent to the EAP Department at Capilano University.
- You can take the test two times within any 30-day period.
- Make sure you download Google Chrome or Opera before trying to take the test.
- In China, the test can be taken on 360 and QQ web browsers as well.
- An Internet connection with at least 2 Mbps download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed is recommended for test sessions.
- Before taking the test, you will be asked to test whether your computer’s microphone and speaker are working properly.
- It is also at this time that your identification information is collected and that you are informed of the test’s administration rules.
- While taking the test your web browsers will be locked down. This means that any navigation away from the browser where you are taking the test will invalidate the test session. Don’t surf the net while taking the test. Additionally, all browser plugins must be disabled.
- The following behaviors are NOT allowed while you are taking the Duolingo:
- Interacting with anyone.
- Allowing other people in the room.
- Using headphones or earbuds.
- Disabling the microphone or camera.
- Looking offscreen.
- Moving out of frame of the camera.
- Accessing any outside material or devices.
- Leaving the web browser.
|To enter this
level / program
|IELTS Overall||No IELTS band
|TOEFL iBT||CAEL||PTE||Duolingo (DET)||EAP English
|Entry into most
|5.5||5.0||67||50||50||90||score of 090|
|ECCE Pathway||5.5||5.0||67||50||50||90||score of 090|
|EAP 100 and
|6.0||5.5||71||60||53||100||score of 100|
|EAP 090||5.5||5.0||67||50||50||90||score of 090|
|EAP 080||5.0||4.5||45||40||47||75||score of 080|
|EAP 070||4.5||4.0||32||30||44||65||score of 070|
|EAP 060||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||55||score of 060|
|EAP 050||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a||45||score of 050|
We are committed to protecting your privacy and personal information through responsible information management practices. We collect, use, retain, disclose and dispose of personal information in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA), other applicable legislation and Capilano University privacy management practices.
This form collects personal information for the purposes of EAP placement testing. It is collected by Capilano University under (s)(26)(c) of FIPPA. By submitting this form, you are providing your consent for the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) department to collect and use this information for this purpose. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.