As an international student, you must have both basic and extended health insurance for the entire period of study in Canada.

Learn about the available Health and Dental Insurance (pdf) plans. 

If you are a short-term visiting or exchange student, please read about your specific medical insurance requirements.

Basic health insurance

Permanent basic health insurance: MSP

As an international student, you must sign up for the Medical Services Plan (MSP) if you’ll be living in British Columbia for more than six months. 

MSP covers the cost of medically-necessary insured doctor services.

Apply online for MSP as soon as you arrive in B.C. and before you start your studies at CapU.

In order to apply online for MSP you will need:

  • a Canadian address and phone number
  • a passport (arrival date information)
  • a digital copy of your study permit
  • internet access.

On your first day at CapU, during the New International Student Orientation, we will guide you through the process of applying for MSP. However, it is your responsibility to apply and send your payment directly to Health Insurance BC, which administers the MSP on behalf of the Ministry of Health.

Three students talking, surrounded by trees

There is a waiting period for newcomers to BC before the MSP takes effect. To ensure your wellbeing during this period, CapU will automatically enrol you in, a private insurance plan contracted by Capilano University to provide basic health insurance coverage before MSP starts.

Note: The issue date on your MSP card is not the effective date of your health coverage. The effective date of your health coverage is shown on your MSP letter.

Temporary basic health insurance:

Effective date and duration

CapU’s Centre for International Experience will automatically enrol you in to provide temporary health insurance coverage, effective on the first day of your start term (your orientation day). The duration of your coverage is three months, to ensure that you are covered while you are waiting for your MSP to take effect. Please refer to to submit any medical expenses claims incurred during this period. 


The cost of is $188 for three months, payable to Capilano University through your myCapU account. This charge will appear on your myCapU account approximately two weeks prior to the start of the term.

Adding dependents to

You can also add your dependents such as a spouse or children. To do this, you must email with their full names, dates of birth, gender and nationality. 

How to opt out of

You can opt out of - and avoid being charged for - if you already have MSP. To opt out of, you must upload your MSP letter* into a Dropbox found in your Welcome Guide for International Students on CapU eLearn or present your MSP letter at the Wong and Trainor Centre for International Experience office during the first week of classes. (*The MSP letter is not your MSP invoice - it's the letter you first received with your MSP card.)

Note: All student accounts with an outstanding balance are subject to late payment fee penalty.

Extended health insurance

Extended health insurance: StudentCare

The Capilano Students’ Union (CSU) Health and Dental Plan provides extended medical coverage for services not covered by MSP, including:

  • prescription drugs and vaccinations
  • accidents and emergencies
  • health practitioners (physiotherapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, etc.)
  • vision care
  • dental care
  • travel coverage.

CapU students participating in a fun run

If you already have this level of coverage with another plan, you can opt out of this.

Health services on campus

Capilano University students can visit a doctor at the North Vancouver campus Health Services office.